Saturday, October 26, 2013

Reel life... real life!

I was transported again.... just like that, without my precise permission.. on a whim I was transported.

I love films.. I love being caught up in a story that is not quite my own, but so close. I (sadistically), took to furiously reading the wiki entry on every movie I sat down to watch. How does it end? Does he survive? Who dies? Who gets the girl? Whose kingdom is lost? I needed to know. In part to satisfy our eternal quest for optimism, in part because I am just that much of a control freak. I thought that knowing the end would ruin the journey... would mar the dialogue, render it a shell of a story.

Quite the contrary - knowing the end does not preclude my being lost in the folds of the story. Not truly against my will, more without my knowing, I fall right into that altered space. Where only the story being told exists, only the characters have voice and their journey is mine. I cannot explain how films affect me. How real they seem, how screen joy fills my heart and bubbles over... and how a story's despair drags me with it.

Despite knowing everything I'm about to witness, I am amazed at how movies can affect me so. The ability of film to capture my attention, to take me along and for me to allow myself to be amidst the characters, and experience their story, shakes me alive!

It also gives me optimism, we all know that life will someday end. But despite knowing that, perhaps we can just enjoy the ride!


1 comment:

mosilager said...

I still have more of an immersion experience with books than with movies. Somehow I can't suspend my disbelief well enough with moving pictures, so maybe that is the problem. Lovely post, as always. Thanks.